Dual Stream Residential Recycling
You must separate your recycled items into two categories – 1) paper and cardboard and 2) commingled recyclables (NO GLASS) and they must stay separate. No paper with commingled cans and plastic bottles, and no cans or plastic bottles in with paper. Even one or two makes a difference. It can contaminate the whole recycling load. If the loads are mixed or put out on the wrong day, they will be tagged and left until corrected.
NO PLASTIC BAGS. Please be sure you are not putting any plastic bag of any kind in your recycling container. One newspaper left in a plastic bag makes a difference. A plastic bag full of aluminum cans, makes a difference.
Glass can no longer be placed in your recycling container with commingled cans and plastics. They must either be placed in your garbage container, or they can be dropped off at one of the following locations free of charge:
- Brookhaven Town Hall – One Independence Hill, Farmingville, NY 11738
- Brookhaven Landfill – 350 Horseblock Road, Brookhaven, NY 11719
- Manorville Compost Facility – Papermill Road, Manorville, NY 11949
- Holtsville Ecology Center – 249 Buckley Road, Holtsville, NY 11742
- Rose Caracappa Sr. Center – 739 Route 25A, Mt. Sinai, NY 11766
ITEMS not accepted in Recycling Containers:
- Wet garbage or food waste
- Window – auto glass
- Light Bulbs
- Empty containers only
- Rinse all food & beverage containers
- Flatten or cut cardboard boxes